Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Loved and lost.

Everyone loses things, some of us more than others, yes? But there are things I have - or had, I should say - that shouldn't be in the list of misssing things. For instance:

I can think of at least two shirts, blouses, really, that are gone. I've checked behind the washer/dryer, in my daughter's closet, at the laundromat I used when the washer broke down, at the house of friends who loaned me their washer during the same tragic washerless spell and in my son's closet (because I couldn't think of anywhere else to look). Not in any of those places. How did this happen? I don't go places that one would be taking off one's shirt, let alone leaving accidentaly (or intentionally!) without putting it back on. So where are these two shirts?


A Shovel. This may have a logical answer. I do have kids, and although they deny it I can see that it is possible that they borrowed it for some reason I'd rather not hear about and then left it where ever it was they were using it. So perhaps that isn't so odd.

Almonds. I was making a dessert that required two types of almonds. I bought them, I remember unpacking them from the grocery bag and yet beyond that there isn't a trace of them or a hint of where they may be. I had to go out and get more almonds. That was months ago and they are still missing.

Winter Boots. I know I bought winter boots last year for me, because the ones I had - and still have - were worn out and no longer warm in any way. I bought them on sale at the end of the season, and they...walked away? They're pretty clunky, too, so you'd think I couldn't miss them. But they haven't turned up despite some pretty desparate searching.

A bottle of Veggie Juice. I bought a giant bottle of 10 vegetable juice to take to work. It isn't at home, it isn't in the car and it isn't at work. So where is it?

One year I bought a Santa Claus (Mrs. Claus, actually. Or so I hope) matching underwear/bra set. I remember hiding them, because it was January and I wouldn't need them for another 11 months. OK, so I would never actually NEED red underwear with white faux fur trim. But as I did spend $ to get it, I want to wear it. So where on earth did I hide them? I've gone through every cupboard and every drawer that I own, and they're just...M.I.A. Or Missing Without Action, depending on how you look at it.

I've a much large list of things that are missing, these are just the ones that keep me awake at night trying to figure out what's going on.

2 comments:

Jason Doan said...

So, if you had found those blouses in your son's closet, how would that conversation have gone?

crazybarefeet said...

Well, if he put them there, I'd have to come up with something, but the more likly reason - I hope! - is that anything in the wrong closet is there becuase Im the one who does the laundry. Not my most favourite task ergo tthere tend to be errors.