Thursday, March 16, 2006

An independent brain

I’ve come up with a new work rule: when three things go wrong before nine in the morning, you get a day off with pay. Of course that would benefit some of us more than others, but still.

I had several things to take to work today, so when I went to start the car I took Poland’s cake with me. I stepped on the top step, which, as it turned out was not so much a step as a skating rink. Yup, the kind of ice that makes you fall. My brain, without asking me for my opinion, said “Save cake! Must…save…cake”. So the cake was saved, with a minor wrist scrape on the arm that was holding it (minor, but it is right where the mouse pad thingy rubs. Thingy being the correct term for it), but my tailbone was not saved in any way. So as I sat there I thought that really, it would have been better to let the cake fly (birthday girl is very nice: having a cake next Monday wouldn’t have mattered at all), and save myself from the fall. When I got to work I fixed the cake – the sides were messy – and went to fill the kettle with water for tea and oatmeal. Except that my lunch and breakfast were somewhere on the front step at home. So no oatmeal. And whilst I filled the kettle and contemplated my foodless day, I didn’t realize that I was pressing both taps on the water jug, so the water catcher was overflowing with water that was pouring in a waterfall onto the floor. Sigh. I scooped out a bit of water from the water catcher thing, and took it out of its pocket to empty it. I was almost at the sink when someone opened the door next to the sink, bumping me, so that water ended up on the floor in front of the sink.

I guess if I am really hungy I can go to the cafe across the street. Or eat cake. The cake might as well be lunch, because in the end it is pointless, from a birthday point of view: birthday girl is home sick today.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the day holds for me.

No comments: