Friday, March 24, 2006

Brain Worms

There are thoughts in life that wriggle their wormy little way into your brain, and you can’t let go until you’ve made the worm happy. A question, perhaps, that has no immediate answer must be pursued until an answer is found. Or a moral dilemma that one feels must come to some sort of resolution, even when it is a hypothetical dilemma. Or wanting something you really shouldn’t have: that extra bowl of ice cream, that 27th beer, that bank robbery in Vegas you’ve been thinking about. (that last thing is probably just me). The thing is, sometimes there are things you want that you can’t have at the moment. I am almost dizzy with wanting to lie down on thick green grass in the park, under the biggest tree I can find. I want to lie down and close my eyes and let the summer sun warm my winter skin.

For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
-Solomon

(I’d give a great deal to hear what turtles have to say).

No comments: