Monday, March 13, 2006

If this keeps up I'll have to learn how to swear

Another weekend of plumbing. This time it was the dishwasher, which now has a new impeller installed. Fortunately that is a fairly cheap part to get, but there is a lot of taking apart/putting back together to get the old one out and the new one in. I learned something, though: if you’re not responsible for something, you ignore it. I ran a bath, unloaded the dishwasher, loaded it up, cleaned the counters, put stuff away, turned the thing on and went to have my bath. I had the jets on, so I couldn’t hear anything. When the jets stopped (it is one of the old-fashioned kind, just a knob by the door that you turn), I heard this hideous grinding noise coming from the kitchen. A noise that no one thought to mention, let alone do something about, like turning the thing off. And I’m not talking about a quiet little noise, either; it was a truly wrenching grinding sound. I had to turn it off, take everything out and then scoop water out (it wasn’t draining, either), take it apart, leave everything all over the floor, go to the Maytag store to get a new impeller, run home and put it all together. It took up allof my house cleaning time, which would have been terrible, but that was on Saturday, games night. Boys, as it turns out, don’t notice a messy house when there are new games to be played, cartons of juice to be quaffed and a platter of cookies to eat. If you’ve ever wondered, 6 boys can eat 80 cookies in the space of oh, say, and hour and a half. I’m sure if I’d made more, they would have eaten those too.

No comments: