Friday, February 02, 2007

Peanut Allergy Rant

First of all, don't bother telling me that the whole thing started because of a mistake I made; I'm aware of that, but I'm still upset over the outcome.

So - I have two kids. One in elementary school where no nuts are allowed and one in high school where there's a nut free for all. I was driving my youngest to school and when she asked me to grab her lunch I took the wrong one. I grabbed the one with a peanut butter and jam triple layer sandwich in it, which was intended for her brother. So what happened when she discovered this at lunch? Asked to eat separately, and to wash well after? No. Sent to the principals office to eat? Nope. Sent outside? Nope. Asked to call home? No, as a matter of fact they wouldn't let her call me. Or even friends that live near the school that might have been home. And they wouldn't let her eat her lunch, either. How much time on the office phone would that be, a minute? "mom I have nuts in my lunch come and get me so I can eat at home". Not even a minute, but apparently that was too much to ask. So she went foodless.

I will, of course, be checking with the school to make sure this is what happened. I can see the lunch room monitor - who is an elderly volunteer - saying no to phoning, but I can't see the secretary saying no. So I'll check before I go kick butt.

2 comments:

Jason Doan said...

Yes that does sound a tad extreme.

NoPeanuts said...

They should at least have helped your child have something for lunch. Our daughter is anaphylactic to peanuts. I appreciate your effort to protect the younger allergic children - 'It Takes A Village'. Thank you.

NP

www.NoPeanutsPlease.com

It Takes A Village To Avoid A Peanut