Monday, February 26, 2007

All I can say is that the pain was responsible.

Now that I’m feeling better (better as in than I was, not as in everything is totally fine now) I’m ok with talking about the hospital visit. Not that it was stranger than usual, simply that emergency rooms tend to have more happening in them than say the local dépanneur.

Having taken Mayb away from vacuuming –which I think is a pointless useless task anyway. And things always end up in smoke anyway – to take me to the Pasqua H., I figured that my troubles were over. Forgive my naiveté, but it’s been a while since I’ve been to a hospital and I’d forgotten the minimum two day wait period.

The first thing you do is check in. Wait, no the first thing you do is wash your hands with that gel stuff. Then you check in. So I was, sit in the chair and hand the nurse my health card. She takes it and does computer stuff. Then she SNAPS on the counter in front of me and says “this says Sterling, we have you as Gordon. What’s going on here?”

Now, I’m pretty sure name changes happen all the time. You get divorced, or married, you’re in witness protection, you’re running from the monstrous evil that was your previous life. So I was a bit puzzled by this statement. I was also, unfortunately, in a great deal of pain. So I said “I’m running from a South African hit squad trying to get their conflict diamonds back from me. But Sterling really is my name, they’re looking for Gordon, the fools”. Not perhaps the best idea. May even have added to the time I had to wait. It’s just…I was in a great deal of pain. Don’t mess with someone in pain who should have been enjoying the first Provincial Family Day ever. Gave her the real reason for the different name. She gave me a wrist band, and told me to put the wheel chair away (I fainted when I came in, before the hand washing. Nice nurse helped me to a chair).

Ah, welcome to hospital life!

No comments: