Saturday, April 14, 2007

A New Step Every Day

So, Friday night dance class will indeed work better than Thursday nights but it sure plays havoc with sleeping when your Saturday starts at four-thirty.

The class was worth it though, even though the first half hour was the two step. Not something I really want to learn, but excellent exercise nevertheless. The second half hour was jive, so again a really good work out. The only down side to the class - well, apart from the mirrors. I can't decide if the mirrors are good, because they strengthen your resolve to get fit, or terrible because until you get fit they're as depressing as all get out. Maybe neither - I avoid mirrors at home, so it is easy to avoid them in class. Which is bloody brilliant given that one entire wall it mirrored.

Anyway, back to whatever point it was that I thought I was making. Ah yes, not a point but a remark. I get that it would be nice for couples to have a minute at the end of class to dance with their partners (during the class partners change all the time), but I wasn't expecting to hear "ok, for this last minute or two go back to your partners. Single guys raise your hands. Ok, LEFTOVER LADIES, partner up with someone whose hand is up".

Woohoo. I'm no longer a homely, pudgy, middle-aged white woman. No, I've moved up. I'm now a leftover lady. And yes, I am glad he didn't say "pudgy homely white women go partner up with the single guys". And he could of, believe me.

No comments: