Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Coulda been poopy.

I am, for the most part, pleased that they redid the entire street that I live on. It is beautifully smooth, and I'm gonna take up rollerblading. Yes, I am. Ignore the laughter of my kids, they'll get over it. So yes, mainly good things here. Except...

The workers appear to know when I have migraines. The day the machine with the giant metal disk came to tear up the sidewalk and bottom of my driveway, I was home with a headache. And here I thought bagpipes would be the worst thing to have to hear when you have a migraine! Oh so sadly wrong.

The day they put the final layer of asphalt done I was also home with a migraine. In the bath, in the dark, hoping the pain would go away. I was quite...startled to be bombarded with what turned out to be shampoo and conditioner bottles from the shelves. Turns out the pavement pounding machine made the whole house vibrate and things were jumping off the shelves all over the house. In the fogginess of the headache, my first reaction to the flying bottles was to leap up screaming, thinking a murderer had somehow entered the house whilst I was underwater. Because you know, that's what murderers do first: throw plastic bottles at you to render you unconcious. Even with a migraine I quickly twigged to what was going on, and the screaming stopped. But all in all, a bad experience. Nevertheless, the road is done and life will return to normal - whatever that is for me!

Or so I thought. Turns out that there are some sewer things that need to be done. Which means that from 3:00 am this morning until 8:00 pm tonight - NO WATER. No flushing, showering, bathing, dishes...nothing! Until eight tonight, curse them.

So this morning we brushed our teeth with water I'd run last night, spitting into a bowl in the sink. We all waited to get to where we are going today to use a bathroom, and whilst we did all shower last night before bed, I still feel somewhat unwashed. Ick. Maybe this is the last of the road repair interruptions. Maybe.

Oh, wait, I have one more rant: the notice that they sent to tell us to not run water was put on the doorknob. They didn't ring the doorbell (and we were home all night), and if I hadn't been taking A. out to play some games, I wouldn't have known not to run water. So we would have showered, pooped, done dishes and probably some laundry too. And, according to the notice, if you do any of those things while they're working whatever you have done will "flood back into the home". Yup, that would have been JUST what I wanted to do today, clean up flooded sewage from the basement. So I am going to phone the contact number they gave and suggest that perhaps in the future they could ensure that people actually GET the notice. Perhaps even a day or two before the shut down.

No comments: