Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oh My Girl.

I love my kids. I love the board game playing one on one. I love World Wide Wednesdays, when they choose a country and sample the cuisine of the culture. My little international sous-chefs! Part of the deal is learning a bit about their country of choice and sharing it over supper. We've added some recipes to out family favourites. A's Spanish Shrimp and M's Hawaiian Honey Chicken being two that appear on a semi-regular basis. I love the book reading, hot chocolate/tea/steamer in hand, reading favourite lines out loud. I love seeing them get hooked on an author that I've introduced them to. A is on his fouth book in Orson Scott Card's Enders series. I love playing badminton in the park until it's too dark to see the birdie. I even enjoyed it on the weekend when the park was soggy as well as dark!

So, my girl. Which is the whole point of the post. To get things in perspective, this is the girl who read the Hobbit in Grade 2. While her friends were reading Good Night Moon. She decided two weeks ago that she wanted to read Catcher in the Rye. Not sure why, but I told her that if we read it concurrently and talked about it then yes, by all means give it a try. So she asked for it at the school library (she's in grade 6). The librarian searched for it on the computer and didn't find it. She was, as it happens, searching for "Catch Her in the Eye". What kind of book would that be? An aid to violence in relationships? M. clarified the title and was told that The Catcher in the Rye is "VERY Unsuitable", and of course the school wouldn't have a copy. And she shouldn't be reading that until college anyway. College? Why not just say until she's 30, or 40. Anyway, the local library had it, so we started it last night. Should be an interesting literary journey for us!

2 comments:

Jason Doan said...

Ahhh yes, the school librarians, always the first line of defense against anyone doing any critical thinking...oh how I miss my days in school.

LynnieC said...

How's it going so far? I waited until I was 23 to read it and I really liked it. Holden and I think very very much alike. It made me smile. And then made me worry a little bit about my mental health...huh.