Thursday, January 29, 2009

If you say so

I hate it when I need only a few things, but have to go to different stores to get them. Yesterday was a perfect example: I needed something that I could get at Shopper’s or Wal-mart, and I needed a lemon and three types of fresh herbs. Safeway has the latter, but doesn’t carry what I needed from Wal-mart. And Wal-mart, not surprisingly doesn't have fresh fruit and veg. So I end up going to both places with not a lot of extra time if I wanted to get home and have the game hens ready to eat some time before, say, midnight. Which meant, of course, that the line to check out at in Wal-mart was super long. And slow. REALLY slow. Agonizingly slow. When it was finally my turn, ms. Cashier and I had the following exchange:

Cashier: Sorry about it taking so long, and having to wait.
Me: That’s ok, we all have to be new to a job at some point.
Cashier: Oh, I’m not new, I’m just slow.
Me: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Because I wanted to say “good for you, special needs person, getting a job and making your own way in the world. Unless you’re not special needs slow, but lazy-ass slow. Because that would be a bad thing”. Seemed best to not say anything.

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

I am sure store management looks at $ per hour processed through each till and compares across tills. She will get caught and be looking for work elsewhere soon. In teh labour crunch, she could hold her job but with the layoffs all over there will be competition soon.