Monday, January 05, 2009

A perceptive man

I was going to make the title "good husbandry" until I remembered that that term refers to farming. What I want to say is that my sister's husband is brilliant. And kind. And he PAYS ATTENTION.

He is using air miles to fly me out for a visit (I've had Christmas presents, I've given Christmas presents, but I've never been a Christmas present). Originally we were going to make it so that I just appeared at supper. Total surprise! Bunny out of the magic hat! That is what he likes to do, and also as it happens what I like. However...

Surprises are emphatically NOT what my sister likes. She likes to know what's going on. She likes to plan things (so does he, actually. They're an excellent match in the that department) and a third of the enjoyment of going on a trip or having someone visit is the looking forward to it part. Which one can't do if the thing is just sprung on you.

Good man that he is, he recognized this need in my sister and swallowed his desire to make it a total surprise at the last minute and instead made it part of a Christmas present. And because the trip is in February, I get to enjoy west coast warmth instead of bald prairie cold. Yippee! And the girl - who wasn't told because she can't keep a secret for love nor money - can be told about it and be all excited for me. Yes, my children are that awesome: instead of being jealous, they are both honestly happy for me to be getting a break.

2 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Sounds like a good man. Hope you can keep warm unitl the trip West!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous guy and good for you. I hope you have a wonderful, warm trip.