Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thanksgiving 101

I have learned things this Thanksgiving weekend, things that I apparently needed to learn. So I’m going to share them with you.

I’m not ready to open a café.

Wanting to write and being able to write are two wholly different things.

Being able to write and being able to write well are also two wholly different things.

If I don’t get cracking on the Christmas baking brochure, I will not have much of a baking season.

Chasing a dog that is trying to run with a turkey carcass is not as funny as it sounds.

Hot chocolate and board games with your kids on a rainy afternoon is a wonderful thing.

No matter how serious or painful the injury you sustained was, if it happened because you punched yourself in the face, your children will laugh their heads off even as they’re checking to see if you need help.

Before you make more than one pie for Thanksgiving, you should make sure you have someone to give the spare pie to. Two desserts for three people doesn’t work. Particularly after a really good meal.

If the friends you might normally cook for are visiting their aunt, you might not need an 18 pound turkey.

I need to either:
a) get a turkey buddy. Sort of like an F-buddy, but instead of having them around for the occasional booty call, I can call them when the turkey is done, to save myself the bi-annual turkey hack ‘n slash.

OR
b) go to butcher school, and learn how to carve a turkey. Because all the books and magazines I’ve tried to follow have done NOTHING to remedy the disaster that is the end result of turkey carving as done by me.

I also need to clarify that NO, I don’t have the first type of buddy either, May-be. I woulda said so. I was just using it as an example, ‘K?

Life is sweet when you’re watching a good movie and eating great seafood in excellent company. (M. was at the Stones on Friday, so A. and I got to eat scallops with no fear of poisoning my girl. It was a great night).

Life is even sweeter when those near and dear to your heart are hale, hearty and happy.

Mahalo a le Bon Dieu for a great Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Bronwyn said...

I don't even know where to start on this one. But do not fear, I know you have no F-buddy. I would have heard about it. And celebrated with you!!

Dog with the turkey carcass. That has to be the best picture ever. I'm glad it wasn't me.

How did you punch yourself in the face? Was Alec doing a version of "Stop hitting yourself"??

Also, if you have spare turkey, Lyn and I would be happy to help. As for the pie? Not going to happen. We still have one pie and 1/2 a cheesecake from our trip!

(Does this make up for not commenting on your other post?)