Monday, October 23, 2006

Sunday Afternoon Head Trauma

I had high hopes for Sunday afternoon, really I did. I had several possibilities in mind:

Going to Lumsden, to play some Cribbage (before I forget how to play altogether)
Going somewhere for a walk in the country
Board games, if my kids were home
Chocolate, in either sense of the word (I never said they were REALISTIC possibilities)
A walk with Lexi at the off leash park
Hot chocolate and a good book
Tea and a really good book
Tea, and writing a chapter for a really good book
Getting the laundry done (I also never said they were high hopes for fun things)
Cooking supper for somebody. No particular somebody, just felt like cooking
Sushi making with A. should the kids come home
Really long walk with the music that makes walking a serious work-out

What really happened? A headache, and an attack in the bath.
What was that? An attack? Yes, and here’s the story:

I had a headache, and when it started to get worse I decided to take the last of the Motrin and have a bath in the dark. This might have worked, but soon into the bath a rumbling noise started from somewhere (hard to tell direction when your brain hurts and you’re in the dark) and the house started SHAKING. And one by one bottles of shampoo and conditioner started coming of the shelves, most of them managing to hit me in the head on the way down. I started yelling, which sent the dogs outside the door CRAZY with worry, so much so that Lexi was making a serious effort at breaking in. Even though I’d stopped yelling as soon as I realized what was happening.

I’m glad that the dogs care enough to try to save me from being attacked - albeit from generally harmless plastic bottles - but the noise! Adding to the barking and the shaking was a horrible grinding sound. I lurched to the front door to see what on earth was happening, and it turns out that they City was putting the final layer of asphalt on the road in front of the house. The pounding machine – or whatever it is – was the house-shaking culprit. It was also making the grinding noise, as it spewed out hot asphalt. I thought about going somewhere else to sleep, but even that wasn’t a choice, because they were at the end of the driveway, effectively sealing me in. I ended up going to bed with ear plugs in and several pillows over my ears too. (Ha! To all who mocked the six to eight pillows I usually have on the bed. They were needed!). Not the best solution, but better than nothing. Much worse than anything else on my list of possibilities, including doing the laundry!

No comments: