Monday, March 16, 2009

Arriving safe and sound

So, safely on the plane, off to Calgary. Slept about an hour, which is good because I didn’t sleep between Calgary and Victoria. I should have, though, because the sky was so overcast that I didn’t get to see anything anyway.

No, wait, that is a total lie. I didn’t get to see any water things until just a minute before landing. What I forgot to mention was the completely fantastic thing that one gets to see flying at 5:50 am in February. Sun rise from above the clouds! Starting a trip that way is the most incredible thing. Worth getting up early for by any measure.

I landed in BC (well, we all landed what with it being a plane and all) at 8:00 am their time and the round of being showered with fun things began. My dad and I always start any trip with a drive around the Saanich Peninsula. The only difference was that we had breakfast first, French toast (or as it is called if you’re French in the first place, pain perdu) at The Dakota. Very yummy, and very welcome as I hadn’t done much in the way of eating the night before.

The drive was mainly what it always is: lots of trees – as in actual forest not prairie scrub stuff - , lots of green despite the time of year and lots of clear skies. The overcast I’d flown in on disappeared and stayed away the whole time I was there. Unusually for a trip to Victoria it didn’t rain at all the whole time I was there.

The highlight of the trip was a tour past a horse farm that I knew was for sale. I had emailed dad, and he worked out where it was. All I can say is Holy Moly. I tried to find a link but I think it has probably sold already. So I'll have to plan something else to do with ten million.

We wandered around the back roads for a while with a stop at the Red Barn to get my supply of Grade D maple syrup and then back to his place where I had a nap. A nap! Do you know how RARE that is for me? Weird dreams, but no ringing phones, no kids arriving home and best of all no large dog doing the weird leg thing that dogs do when they sleep. Sure, doesn’t sound like that would be a problem but you try sleeping when a 100 pound dog is pummeling you.

No comments: