Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sugar Speaks

I seem to be past the difficult point of no sugar in my tea. I don't even think about it anymore. But there are other sugar issues in my life. I had to taste a mini version of a new and improved espresso cheesecake I was thinking of making for the restaurant. I took a bit, mushed it around and SPAT IT OUT! Just like some weird oenophile. Or like a regular oenophile. How can one be a pastry chef (not to mention cookie genius) and continue to snack on various veggie juice combinations? Note to juicers: spinach doesn't juice really well, and it cleans up even worse. That can't be grammatically correct, but you get the gist. Back to sugar. I went across the street yesterday to get a V8 juice and was tempted by one of those peanut butter/butterscotch/mini coloured marshmallow things. I don't even like them, but I swear I was swaying in front of the glass cooler thinking how great it would be to have one. Just one. I may even have drooled on the counter. I think I need to do something really totally cool if I manage to kick the sugar addiction. I'm not talking about going out for supper in that cream dress that currently doesn't fit, I'm talking about something huge: cooking class in Italy, sailing in the Balearic sea, walking the streets of Paris (in a non-professional manner, thanks very much). Something totally worth aiming for. Actually, ocean kayaking the next time I'm in BC should do it. Or camping. I haven’t gone camping for years. The one and only time I’ve camped as a single I was next to a campsite of beer swilling gun toting yahoos. I’m not making fun of them, they really were doing both. It was terrifying until the park people game with the law to boot them out. Apparently they didn’t realize you can’t shoot blankly at trees in a provincial park. Who knew?

Kayaking, camping: any suggestions?

4 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Bah, excersise and camping. Do something FUN. I mean really. The only good thing about wanting to go kayaking is the goal of being skinny enough not to get stuck in the boat thingy. Otherwise... you have to get wet and sweaty and exhert yourself. Blech!

crazybarefeet said...

But kayaking is fun, it may even be a punultimate fun. And camping, you don't like camping? I guess I have to take you off the pedestal. And just when I thought maybe one can be perfect. And in kayaking the boat thing is frequently referred to as a kayak.

crazybarefeet said...

And sometimes as an oval of death.

Jason Doan said...

"Just like some weird oenophile. Or like a regular oenophile."

This line made me laugh out loud.

Good luck kicking the sugar addiction, I believe my personal record for avoiding sugar or caffeine while I'm awake is about 14 seconds.

Oh and I'm with you on this one, ocean kayaking sounds a heck of a lot better than boring old Paris.