Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The French connection

I have been appalled to realize how much French I have lost living in Saskatchewan. (They beat you if you speak French here). I've only used it once at work, on the inquiry line, and not at all socially. So I've started listening to French CBC, and paying attention to things that have English and French on them. And you know, I really love some of the French stuff. For instance, instead of going to Lyn and Bron's to run on the treadmill, I can go and "roll on the carpet". Which sounds like my life is way more avant garde than it actually is. I can casually mention at work that I'm off for a bit of rolling on the carpet with the Hingstons. It's not like they don't look at my funny anyway, so I'm not risking anything. Who knows, maybe I'll be less of an odd duck for saying such a thing. Who am I kidding: these people know about the skirt incident on Dewdney, the escalator folly, the vacuums, etc. etc. I'll never win them over to thinking I'm just an average Joe. On the plus side, I could miss work and call in absent due to alien abduction and they would believe it.

But the best news today? I can take my skirt off without undoing it! No, that is not something I've been working on as an office trick. It means the thing is too big, not too small! Kayaking here I come.

No comments: