Thursday, June 22, 2006

Victoria, I love you.

Ah, Victoria, if only I could live there right now. But I can’t, so a visit will have to do.

It was a very quick trip, this time, the main intention being to meet my sisters intended some time before the wedding. I did, and I like him. I knew he makes her happy, I can hear it in her voice when we talk on the phone. With the visit I was able to see that she makes him happy as well. An excellent match!

After a fairly barefootish-ish departure, I arrived in Vancouver in time to get the bus to the 1:00 PM ferry to Schwartz Bay. It was FANTASTIC. I spent every single minute outside, met a lot of people (including a woman who spoke Spanish, and she was from Spain, not South America or Mexico). Our conversation was limited by my lack of speaking Spanish, but I do understand a fair bit, so we did communicate in a strange sort of a way. Saw lots of birds – cormorants, gulls, eagles – and a herd of seals, their black-spotted grey bodies playing in a bay just as we started into the Narrow Passage.

One of our traditions is a drive around the Saanich Peninsula when I arrive. Dad drives, and I get to look at all the tall green things. What are they again? Oh, yeah, trees. Huge forests with tons of trees. I think I’ve been in Saskatchewan too long!

We went in to Victoria and met my sister for supper. It took tons of hints and lots of giggling, and then an outright “notice anything” before I twigged to the engagement ring on her finger. Silly me! I knew it would happen before the end of July, I should have checked her hand first thing. In the end, though, I’m just happy to see her so happy.

After supper we went to her place to drop my stuff off, then to his place for the big meeting. I am happy to report that he is a very nice man, and I am thrilled that the whole move to Victoria thing worked for her. Perhaps I should consider doing the same!

We went for a walk, hoping to find a coffee shop. Lots of Star Bucks open, but nothing local. Tons of people out and about, though. Tourists, mainly, from three cruise ships that were in. We listened to some really good street musicians, wandered around, saw things and just enjoyed the beautiful evening in a beautiful city. Stayed up to late, of course!

Sunday was not really a sleep-in day, because my sister and her fiancé wanted me to meet their church, and his mom. So off we went to St. Matthias. Very nice church, and I got te meet their friends and family. Matthew (so I don’t have to keep calling him “her fiancé”) took my sister, myself and his mother out for lunch at a waterfront restaurant. Excellent fish, and we had a cheese plate as an appetizer. Yum!

We then took his mother home, and went for another drive. Saw Patrick Stewarts house, but not the man himself. (He lives in the same neighbourhood as Matthews’ mother). Bugger.

Sunday night was out birthday supper (we’re not twins, but we do share the same birthday, June 8th) at Dunsmuir Lodge. Is see this place all the time, when I fly into Victoria. As you leave the airport there is what looks like a huge house hidden in the middle of the hill opposite the airport. Great food, and I really enjoyed sitting at the window and looking at the water and the misty hills in the distance. Dad and I took the little car home, and Matthew dropped S. and the luggage at his place later on in the evening.

No sleep in Monday, either, but then this was a holiday to do stuff, not sleep! Dad always goes out for coffee Monday mornings with his buddies, so we went to. Some I’d met before and some I hadn’t, but all of them were perfectly charming. (Can one still use the word charming?).

The rest of Monday was a hair appointment for me, and shopping. The hair took forever, but it feels so nice to have short hair. Unfortunately – and typically! – I can’t make it look as perfect as the hair guy did, but such is life. I’m glad it looked great for one day, though, because my sister beat me to a fantastic coat. All I can say is that after the wedding, I hope I get a chance to wear it somewhere. Not sure where, as it is a jewel toned sapphire blue, fitted at the top, and full length with silver butters down the front. And I mean full length! Every time envy raised its ugly head I thought about the hair. (I’m still worried about the people who may have heard me chanting “she has the coat, but my hair looks great” over and over again. Then again, it was likely no stranger than anything else going on. Lots of interesting people in Victoria!).

I did buy things, too. Can you guess? Yup, no surprise, lingerie and a game. A peignoir that I couldn’t resist and a game from Interactivity games on Fort Street that I should have bought the last time I was in Victoria. I need to do something somewhat less predictable. Although the former purchase ended up being a perfect match to my room makeover, so clearly that was a wise purchase. But that coat, I want the coat!

Monday night I think supper was toast, which is what we had on Tuesday, too. Afterwards we met with friends of theirs from church, and I made dessert. The strawberry thing, of course. But now I have this bottle of Stoli strawberry vodka in my cupboard. I’m going to have to come up with some new thing to do with it.

We went to a play Tuesday evening, “Maggie’s Getting Married”, at the Langham Court Theatre. It was funny, and I enjoyed myself. Very late when we got home, and again for Wednesday no sleep in. I had to get my sister to a conference, and then on to Sidney to get packed and on the plane.

As usual, Victoria didn’t disappoint. I hope that next time I have more time, as I didn’t see everyone I usually do whilst there, and didn’t do some of the things on my list.

Oh, yeah, one other thing worth mentioning: Matthew is the Chief City Planner for Langford. We went on a drive on Bear Mountain, and his boss the City Administrator, was at the house they are building (“they” being the administrator and his family). We got the full tour, and all I can say is that I hope I can see when its finished. Gorgeous view, quiet street, lovely house. Lots of those tree things again. I wish I lived somewhere with giant forests nearby. Someday!

So there – backwards in order, but that is the trip in a rather large nutshell.

1 comment:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Wait a minute: Patrick Stewart lives here? Oh goodness; I don't know if I should tell my husband that. I'm pretty sure I know the vicinity of where he probably lives.