Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And a fun time was had by all.

I figure I’ll split the tale of the trip to Edmonton into several different posts. It was a short weekend, but we seemed to stuff a whole lot into it. I wouldn’t want you overwhelmed! No burning vacuums will appear in any of the posts. I promise.

Edmonton, Part One:
It occurred to me on Thursday that if there was any way I could split the trip in two (without a hotel bill) then perhaps I should do that. The original plan – which was affordable, but bordered on the insane –was to drive all morning on Saturday, and back all day Sunday, one night – the night of the wedding – in a hotel.

Seeing the inherent dangers of such a plan, I got in touch with the ever-kind famille Hingston, to see if Ky could spare us some living room floor on Friday night. That would make the trip to Edmonton shorter. B. responded with an offer to travel with her to North Battleford, and actual beds to sleep on at the Church camp in what used to be an orphanage. Travel in a convoy? You bet!

Friday morning I was up and cooking super early. The bread customers were going to have to go without on Saturday, but at least there would be some Ciabatta available on Friday for them. I thought I could get ready for the trip, bake, pack, deliver and still work most of Friday. Have I mentioned that I have momentary lapses in judgment? I did get the baking done and delivered, but it took until noon to get everything else ready: Lexi to the kennel – because I am not THAT crazy – dishes done, lawn mowed, clothes packed, mountains of antihistamine taken and packed (all three of us spent the first part of the trip sneezing until the drugs kicked in), shopping done, car gassed and oil checked, etc. travel money ready…you get the picture. You probably got it a while ago, yes?

We met up with B. and her puppies (for those of you that thought it was crazy to bring Jazz, keep this in mind: I had no where else I could possibly put him, and B. had three dogs with her. THREE!) shortly after two, and with cold drinks in hand headed out.

We stopped in Davidson for a puppy water break and stretch, and again at the Smitty’s on the highway just outside of Saskatoon. We fed and watered the dogs, and then headed into Smitty’s to get fed and watered ourselves. Onward to the Battlefords!

3 comments:

Bronwyn said...

You thought I was crazy for 3. And now, I have 4. I need to be looked at!

crazybarefeet said...

To be honest, I read your blog, and the addition of Davey. But then my brain had a talk with me. "KB, come on. That can't be right, she's probably joking. She must be. Think about it seriously, she's just pulling your leg here".

Apparently my brain should talk to you, and explain that extra dogs is not the way to spend your birthday. So we must plan (unless you have plans, of course) a supper out. If I have kids, I would love to have you guys over for supper this week. Doesn't actually have to be Wednesday, of course. If I don't have kids, maybe Anne Bolyn and I could take you our for supper. And I am more than willing to make the strawberry dessert for you!

Bronwyn said...

That would be awesome. Supper out and all. Although, my b-day is THURSDAY!! mmmm Strawberries and booze... yum