Monday, December 07, 2009

Smoke and Fire

This one is for you, Lindsay. The only thing that the rest of you need to know is that I've had a bit of bad luck vacuum cleaner-wise. Three of the vacuums I've owned have caught on fire mid-use. The Girl says four, but the last one was all smoke and no fire so I don't think that counts.

I used to think that it was all a strange coincidence. I mean I didn't do anything odd with the vacuums, unless not using it often enough is considered odd. And I suspect that people who own them and don't use them as often as they should are so common that there is no oddness in it at all.

I'm beginning to suscribe to the theory (held by the kids and maybe Lindsay) that perhaps it is me. Because I had another appliance fire issue. Not the vacuum this time. Something else. Something that had a fire (flames and all) whilst in use. And that something is so odd, so bizarre and yet so easily explained that I guess maybe I do have a problem with all things electric.

Oh, sorry, did you want to know what appliance? Ok, then: the dishwasher. Yup, and it was on. Water swishing and all. Which I would have thought would be the best place for a fire to be - I mean instant out, yes? No, as it happens. I had to turn the dishwasher off and dump a big bowl of water on it. All is well in the end but IS this the end? I mean...if I can have a fire in the one thing a fire shouldn't be able to thrive what hope is there for me? And if something is going to burn, why can't it just be the house itself? When we're all out and well alibied, of course.

2 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Vacuums I can understand. But they do have to be emptied once in a while too and filters cleaned so they don't overheat. Also belt drive areas cleaned. Dog hair, human hair wraps in stuff.
But dishwashers? You have class, girl. No one in the world but you could havea dishwasher catch fire.

Anonymous said...

Can I just suggest what a relief to find someone who absolutely knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You certainly certain how to put over a produce an outflow to light and make it important. More people need to read this and interpret this side of the story. I jargon believe youre not more popularized because you definitely contain the gift.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]