Thursday, May 08, 2008

Is Disney the New Wilderness Adventure?

You know how kids like to use extremes? "You NEVER, we ALWAYS, EVERYONE at school" -you know what I mean. So last night the girl and I are talking and she says that EVERYONE in her grade has been to Disney World, or Disney Land.

I know this isn't true, but she started on a list of those she knew who had as a certainty and I have to say it was a pretty extensive list. Now, I certainly went on vacations as a kid and they were awesome, but no Disney. Lots of trips to PEI, lots to the West. We weren't really poor, either, so no Disney wasn't because of that.

The thing in my day was going camping. Almost everyone I knew had at least one family holiday somewhere more or less out in the wild. Some completely out there, some in say Algonquin Park, some in Newfoundland-Labradour but all somewhere that had no city, no games, no lights no electricty no plug ins for all the "stuff" that people had even then.

So what's going on? When did Walt Disney World become the new vacance de choix?

3 comments:

Jason Doan said...

We went to Disneyland when I was M.'s age, it was cool but I was more impressed with some of the other places we went like Universal Studios or to see the Spruce Goose (can't do that anymore, it moved to Oregon now).

crazybarefeet said...

All I know is that if they want Disney Land they can go when they've saved enough money or I've won a trip that has to be to Disney and nowhere else.

Bronwyn said...

I have never been to Disney Land/World or any of the like. And I have lived a full and happy life.

People have too much damn money and not enough brains.